Disaster Recovery Plan: The #1 Best Preparation Guide for Property Owners
Disaster can strike at any moment, but when prepared, the damages will be minimized.
The professionals at SERVPRO of South Cobb want all property owners to know that disaster recovery planning is essential. We have witnessed businesses with the most intense fire/water disasters go back to a normal functioning business in less time than other businesses that did not plan.
The following blog post is intended for commercial property owners, but residential property owners will also find it useful. We will discuss why having a disaster recovery plan is essential and what SERVPRO's free disaster recovery plan includes. So, without further ado, let's get started!
Why is a disaster recovery plan essential?
Before we start describing why having a disaster recovery plan is essential, we must first define disaster recovery. Disaster recovery is the process of restoring the property and a property's operations after a disaster. For property owners, they need to have a disaster recovery plan to know what steps to take after a disaster happens to get their property and operations back to normal.
The best disaster recovery plans will include information to ensure all occupants are safe, as well as protect your property from severe damages caused by mother nature's wrath.
What is included in a disaster recovery plan?
The professionals at SERVPRO of South Cobb offer free disaster recovery planning for any interested property owner. We call our branded disaster recovery plans Emergency Ready Profiles. The following is included in every disaster recovery plan that a SERVPRO professional will put together:
1) An actionable step-by-step checklist of what to do during a fire or water emergency. The checklist will ensure that every step is complete while prioritizing safety.
2) The ways to stay alert and be informed of an upcoming disaster. For example, when there is a severe weather alert, the property owner will want to listen to the local weather reports to take the necessary precautions to minimize damages.
3) A list of essential employees and emergency contacts. The list of essential employees for the property and the emergency contacts will ensure that everyone is in the loop on the disaster damages.
4) Utility contacts and locations of emergency shut-off switches/valves. Having a list of the utility contacts will ensure that all problems are quickly solved. You will also want diagrams and locations of emergency shut-off switches and valves so anyone can quickly shut off any type of leak.
5) A property overview with blueprints and pictures. The right disaster recovery plan will include all blueprints with pictures. The blueprints and pictures will help service crews navigate the property.
6) Building access for service and during an emergency. Knowing a precise location for the emergency service crews to enter and exit the building will ensure that the property is mitigated as quickly and efficiently as possible.
We hope you enjoyed our guide on disaster recovery planning and now know the importance of having a disaster recovery plan before a disaster strikes. Disaster planning is necessary, and the professionals at SERVPRO of South Cobb can help develop a customized plan so you are prepared before disaster strikes!
Here at SERVPRO of South Cobb, we know that developing a disaster recovery plan will minimize the damages done by disasters when they strike.
Remember that the professionals at SERVPRO of South Cobb offer a free disaster recovery planning service and are available 24/7 for emergency services. In addition, our disaster recovery plans are stored online to allow for easy accessibility during a disaster. Please contact us today regarding any questions on how we can help your property stay safe from water and fire damage.